We'll help you every step of the way.
HOW DO I GET MY PERMIT?
- A person is eligible to attain a learner's permit at age 16
- You do not need an appointment to take a permit test. Simply walk in during regular business hours, and:
- Provide proof of age and residency (acceptable forms of identification are listed in the driver's manual)
- Complete a permit application, with parent/guardian signature if you are under age 18
- Pay permit fee to RMV (currently $30)
- Pass a vision test
- Pass the written test
- Smile for the camera, and you are on your way
HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE TO ATTEND DRIVING SCHOOL?
- 15 years and nine months by first class.
HOW DO I GET A LICENSE?
If you are under age 18, you must complete a Registrar-approved driver's education course to be eligible for your license.
A person is eligible for a Junior Operator License at age 16 1/2 providing they have met the following criteria:
- Successfully completed a Registrar-approved driver education course, AND received a driver education certificate
- Has held a learner's permit for 6 months
- Has had no negative reports to driving record for 6 consecutive months: no tickets, at-fault accidents, etc
- Has completed a minimum of 40 hours of behind-the-wheel driving with parent or qualified adult
WHAT DO I NEED FOR THE ROAD TEST
On that day, you must:
- Have completed license application, signed by parent if under age 18
- Have your learner's permit with you
- Bring a qualified sponsor (see note below)
- Provide an acceptable vehicle (see note below)
Notes: Vehicle must have documentation on hand:
- current registration certificate
- valid inspection sticker
- Be sure that all lights, signals, horn etc., are in good working order, as the examiner will often have the student perform a 'pre-check' of the vehicle
- Have adequate seating for examiner (next to driver) and sponsor (rear seat)
- Have accessible brake for examiner to use in the case of an emergency stop. You may NOT use any vehicle that does not allow the examiner unobstructed access to the vehicle's service or emergency brake
Qualified sponsor must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have at least one year driving experience
- Have a valid driver's license issued by his/her own state (foreign license not allowed)
- $20.00 License Test fee payable to RMV
- $50.00 Picture license fee payable to RMV
DO I NEED DRIVER'S EDUCATION TO GET MY LICENSE?
- Drivers education is mandated if you're under 18 years of age and want to get your license before you're 18 years old.
WILL I RECEIVE AN INSURANCE DISCOUNT IF I TAKE DRIVER'S EDUCATION?
SHOULD I SCHEDULE LESSONS IF I'VE NEVER DRIVEN BEFORE?
- Absolutely, if your parents want you to get some experience with us before they get into the car with you, that's great. We'll teach you the proper way to drive right from the start.
WHO DO I NOTIFY IF MY CHILD HAS A DISABILITY?
- If you feel your child's disability needs to be addressed because it affects learning, behavior etc., notify management and management will take proper steps to accommodate your child in any way necessary.
WHAT IS A J.O.L?
- If you are under age 18 when you receive your license, you will be issued a Junior Operator License. Certain restrictions apply to Junior Operators.
- You may not operate a motor vehicle between 12 midnight-5am.
- You may not operate a motor vehicle within the first 6 months after receiving your JOL while any person UNDER AGE 18 is in the vehicle (other than you and/or an immediate family member), unless you are accompanied by a person who is at least 21 years old, has at least 1 year of driving experience, holds a valid driver's license from his/her state, and is occupying a seat beside you.
- Note: This restriction is lifted once you complete the 6 month period, or you reach age 18, whichever occurs first.